The Bentley Block: 600 Block of Main

by Kristine Schmucker, HCHM Curator


Did you recognize the scrolls on the building at 601 Main?

Prairie Harvest, 601 Main, 2015.

This weekend Prairie Harvest is celebrating their 17th Anniversary of business.  Enjoy this history of the building at 601 Main, Newton through photos. Which one do you remember?

The Bentley Block, 1880s

Bentley Block, 601 Main, Newton, Ks, 1883.

1885 Newton City directory lists the following businesses at the location: German National Bank (601 Main); Bentley & Perde Real Estate Brokers (601 1/2); Bowman & Bucher, Attorneys (601 1/2); J.W. Murphy, Real Estate (106 W. 6th); Gross, Boyd & McConnell, Barbers (104 W 6th); E.E. Sellers, Cigars (104 W 6th).

Hanlins Department Store: “The largest Cash Department Store in the State” ca. 1905.

Postcard, 600 Block of Main, west side, 1905. (The Opera House tower is visible at far right.)

Hanlins Department Store, 601 Main, ca. 1905.

West side of the 600 & 700 Blocks on Main Photo by Stovall Studio for booklet, “Newton, Kansas: Past & Present,Progress & Prosperity Souvenir,” 1911.

Hanlins Mercantile Gets a New Look  in 1911.

The front of the building was significantly altered, changing the main entrance and adding an imposing front facade in 1911.

Booster Day Parade, October 42, 1911.

Hanlin Lewis Mercantile, 601 Main, ca. 1911.

The Era of J.C. Penney & Co and more Changes, 1957

J.C. Penney Co., 601 Main. 1957.

500 & 600 Block of west Main, Newton, 1957.

More changes for the front facade when the cornice was removed sometime in 1957.

Harvey County Fair Parade in front of J. C. Penney Co, 601 Main, 1957. (can you find the graffiti left by the NHS class of 1957?)

More drastic changes  in the 1960s/early 1970s when metal siding was installed over the front facade of the building at 601 Main.

Chisholm Trail Parade in front of J.C. Penney Co, 601 Main, 1991.

Businesses since J.C. Penney & Co closed.

Stage, 601 Main, 1997.

Dollar Super Store, 601 Main, 2002.

A Revitalized Building and a Return to the older facade.

Prairie Harvest, 601 Main, 2015.

Congratulations to a Harvey County Business!

On June 7, 2017, Anderson’s Book & Office Supply will celebrate 125 years on Newton’s Main street and five generations of a family business. Below are photos from HCHM’s collection.  Congratulations to the family as they celebrate this milestone.

Anderson Book Store, 422 Main, Newton, pre-1938.

Products and Services available at Anderson’s pre-1938.


Interior of Anderson China Store, 424 N. Main, ca. 1915.

Anderson advertising the RCA Radiola using a parade float in 1921.

P.M. Anderson’s RCA Radiola Float, ca. 1921.

Anderson Book Store 627 N. Main. Janet Gray Anderson, Daisy Will, Faye Thimm, and Phil E. Anderson, 1953.

Anderson’s moved to 627 Main, Newton in 1938 in an effort to be more convenient for NHS teachers and students.

Entrance to the store at 627 Main, Newton.

Before Anderson’s moved into the building at 627 Main, several other businesses had occupied the space.   Golden Rule Store, also known as  J.C. Penney’s, was the first one in Kansas.

Anderson’s today.


  • “Anderson Book & Office Supply 1892-1992,” booklet compiled by Phil, Jan, & Murray Anderson, and Rebecca Megli, 1992.

“A Little of Everything” at 613 N. Main

by Kristine Schmucker, HCHM Curator

With the notice that Alexander Jewelry will be closing January 1, 2017, we thought it might be fun to look back at the businesses that have been located at 613 N. Main, Newton.

Which one did you shop at?

By 1885, J. F. McGrath had a grocery business at 613 N. Main. Upstairs at 613 1/2 N. Main, Dr. N. Monday provided dental services and W.M. Morris had a tailor shop.  In 1887, the Bretch Bros had taken over the grocery and several dressmakers operated from the location on the ground floor and second story.  The dressmakers included, Miss Mary O’Keefe, Mrs. M.E. Brooks and Miss Ida Gibson.

Plumb’s China Emporium

W. I. Plumb came to Newton in 1887 and was using the space for his China Emporium by 1902.

Plumb’s China Emporium, 613 N. Main, 1902. Western Journal of Commerce, 1902, HCHM Archives.

He carried “the most complete  stock of crockery and china ware, comprising the latest and most artistic handicraft of the . . . art potteries of Europe and America.”  The Emporium was “tastefully arranged and a more attractive show windows are seen in the city.” By 1915, Plumb’s Emporium had moved to 502-504 Main.

Postcard of Newton’s Main Street, 600 Block, West Side, ca. 1905. Photo by Stovall.

Between 1905 and 1913, several different businesses used the space from  Mildred Coleman, a hair dresser, to the Davis Novelty Store.

View of Newton Main Street, corner of 6th & Main, 1911.

Hogan’s A Little Bit of Everything

Born in Abilene, Ks, September 1883, to Irish immigrants, Richard L. ‘Dick’ Hogan spent several years as a traveling salesman in Kansas. In February 1913, he moved his family to Newton, Ks and went into business with J. G. Bremmer.  They bought the business at 613 N. Main from S.A. Davis for $1,500.

R.L. “Dick” Hogan, 1883-1955.

In 1915,  Hogan installed a new  store front on the building at 613 N. Main.   The editor for the Evening Kansan Republican described the new front as “strictly modern in every respect, with closed backs, plate glass fronts and prism glass at the top.” The article concluded that this would “greatly improve the looks of that block.”

600 Block of Main, Newton, 1959.

Hogan enjoyed “remarkable success” and by 1919 was able to buy out his partner.  In the early 1920s, Hogan established similar stores in Herington and Peabody, Ks. He also expanded the Newton store to the alley.  The business was valued at $20,000 in 1922.

Basement of 613 N. Main, 1955. Dick Hogan & Fred Martinez after cleaning the storage room enjoying a drink from the Fostoria glasses.

Over  40 years, Hogan would run a successful business as well as serve as “the city’s No. 1 booster.” He worked with various groups from the Harvey County Red Cross to Bethel College to raise money for community projects. He served on the city commission in 1949-1953 and was mayor for one year.

Hogan’s Fostoria Glassware display.

At the time of his unexpected death, Dick Hogan, a devout Catholic, was focusing his energies on raising funds for “a new church for Mexican members of the Catholic faith.”  

Hogan died of a heart attack 17 February 1955.  He was 71 and was survived by his wife, Jeanette; sons, Morris and Pat R. and daughters, Katherine Gilchrist, Betty Torline, Marian Snider, Julia Hoffman, Barbara Hanlon.  One son, Lt. Robert L.  Hogan was killed in action during WWII.

600 Block of Main, 1962. Lucile Mitchell Miller Collection.

His son, Morris, took over the business and continued to provide the community with “a little bit of everything.”

600 Block of Main, Newton, Ks, 1963.

Detail of Hogan’s, 613 N. Main, 1963.

Detail of 613 N. Main, 1966.

Morris Hogan closed the business in approximately 1970.

Morris Hogan standing next to “Quitting Business” sign, 613 N. Main, Newton. ca. 1970.

Moffatt’s Jewelry ca. 1972 – 1996

Moffatt’s Jewelry was owned and operated by Harry L and Unilda Bestvater Moffatt.

Moffatt’s Jewelry Store, 613 N. Main, Newton, 1972.

Entry way to 613 N. Main building, 2016.

600 Block of Main, Newton, 1992.

Alexander’s Jewelry, 1996-2016

The store continued as a jewelry store under the ownership of Parker Exposito.  Alexander’s Jewelry will close January 1, 2017.

600 Block Main, Newton, 1997.

Alexander Jewelry Yellow Pages Ad, 1999.

Alexander Jewelry Sign, 613 N. Main, Newton, 2016.

What will be next at 613 N. Main, Newton?

600 Block of Main, Newton, 2006.


There were several stores in Newton known as “racket stores,” including one associated with Hanlin Merchantile Co.  Hogan’s was initially called “The Racket.”

Ad in the Evening Kansan Republican, 14 May 1921, p. 5.

In 1908, the Evening Kansan Republican provided a description of these stores.  The term,  “Racket Store,” was used in commercial circles to describe

a store – often open for temporary use – in which cheap goods are sold at ‘bargain prices.’ . . .   sometimes include what are usually termed ‘notions’.”  – Evening Kansan Republican 20 July 1908, p. 4.

Ad in the Evening Kansan Republican, 8 October 1921, p. 3.

What’s next  for 613?
Norm’s Coffee will move to the store.


  • Western Journal of Commerce, 1902.
  • Evening Kansan Republican: 22 May 1899, 17 October 1899, 20 July 1903, 2 January 1908, 13 November 1908, 26 April 1912, 16 April 1915, 7 April 1917, 25 January 1919, 14 May 1921, 15 August 1921, 8 October 1921, 22 August 1922, 11 November 1922, 23 December 1922,18 February 1955.
  • Newton City Directory: 1885 – 2000.
  • Harvey County Now: 8 December 2016.