by Kristine Schmucker, HCHM Curator
Thanks to Jim Brower for sending the initial idea and question for this post.
|McClung’s Hotel, Main, Sedgwick, Ks
Later Frazier’s Hotel and then, the Commercial Hotel
“After the usual boisterous soliciting by the two hotel men, the travelers went away with Frazer to his house. A quarrel started with this, and on the way to the hotel the men exchanged words, with the final result of Frazer’s pulling a 38 and shooting Dickerson.”
“Assault with the intent to kill”
Photo courtesy Bob Myers, Newton City Attorney
“The guest had gone into the hotel office and that he and Dickerson had remained outside, Frazier shutting the office door, the counsel asked dramatically, ‘Why didn’t you go in and take care of your guest, instead of remaining on the outside with the man you claim to be afraid of?’ Frazier was almost trapped and trembled perceptibly. After a pause, he answered: ‘I had a right to be on the sidewalk.'”
Following the verdict
|Sedgwick Pantagraph, 20 May 1897, p.1|
“And so ends the last chapter of this lamentable affair in which all parties have doubtless been at fault, and all parties concerned have likewise suffered much. Let this case stand as a warning to all who may be concerned in annoying business complications or petty jealous rivalry. When the hot blood of passion mounts . . . beware, for the end is not there and the wake of thoughtless action often come the deepest sorrow.”(Sedgwick Pantagraph, 13 May 1897, p. 1)
- Sedgwick Pantagraph, July 11, 1895, November 28, 1895, April 23, 1896, April 30, 1896, March 11, 1897, March 25, 1897, April 1, 1897, April 22, 1897, May 13, 1897, May 20, 1897.
- Newton Kansan: March 11, 1897, May 13, 1897
- The May 13, 1897 issue contains the account of the entire trial.
- Wichita Daily Eagle: March 10, 1897
- United States Census 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930.
- Kansas Census 1885, 1895
- Find-a-Grave: Amos Frazier (1847-1934) Hillside Cemetery, Sedgwick, Harvey County, Kansas.
- Bob Myers to Kristine Schmucker via e-mail 7 November 2013 regarding Attorney Charles Bucher.