Little Treasures: Souvenir Spoons

by Kristine Schmucker, HCHM Curator

While pulling out objects for the Back to the 80s exhibit, I discovered two silver spoons and not just ordinary spoons.

An etching of a school building is on the “spoon” part with a decorative handle that features a “Chief.” The words “High School Building, Newton, Kas” across the top part of the spoon.

In 1888, two new school buildings were constructed, the High School,  later named Cooper School, and McKinley School. Perhaps the spoon was created as a memento from the dedication of the new high school in 1888.

The second spoon seems to have been a graduation keepsake. The school is identified as “Cooper School” and the handle is designed to be a young woman graduate.  A closer looked revealed the name “Estelle” engraved on the diploma in the woman’s hands.

High School, later named Cooper School. 1888-1913.

Cooper School, Newton High School, was located at E 7th & Oak, Newton, Ks.

Cedar Village Memories in Photos

Recently on Facebook, we posted a photo of the Cedar Village Shopping Center, 11th & Washington Rd, Newton, Ks.

It sparked so many good memories, we thought to share a few more photos from our collection.

Cedar Village Businesses in 1954

Photos from the Newton Kansan April 1, 1954 announcing the formal opening of Cedar Village Shopping Center, Newton, Ks.

Village Cafe, Cedar Village, Mr. & Mrs Ed Greer.

Faye Peterson, “Faye’s” carried women’s clothing.

Ball Pharmacy. Identified lt-rt: Margaret Smith, Nellie Patton, Floyd Ball

Stucky’s IGA. Boyd Delcamp (lt) Jean Baumgartner (rt)

Moore’s IGA Food Store, 1950s

Moore’s Men & Boys Wear, Moore’s Five & Dime, located in Cedar Village on Washington Rd., ca. 1955

Moore’s IGA, 1020 Washington, Newton, 1955

Interior Moore’s IGA Food Store, 1029 Washington Rd, Newton, Ks

Can you spot the Spam?

Aftermath of Fire

A fire on December 7, 1958 destroyed the shopping center.

December 7, 1958.

Rebuilding Cedar Village

Three views showing the construction of the new shopping center using pre-stressed concrete.

Cedar Village Shopping Center

Grand Reopening!

 

Newton Kansan Progress Edition, February 10, 1960

Hall Pharmacy, 1960

Flower Shop, Owners: Ruby Eason and Zelda Miller

Feel free to share your memories of Cedar Village Shopping Center in the comment section of our Facebook page! We love to learn your stories of living in Harvey County!

New & Cool: Photos from 1899

by Kristine Schmucker, HCHM Curator

Working at a museum is never dull – you never know who will walk in the door bringing the next treasure! Recently, our neighbor across the street, Kelly Hayes, Furniture Warehouse, stopped by to give us some photos he ‘laying around.’

What a treasure!

The photos match other photos we have of a street fair in 1899 – seen below.

Parade, Main Street, Newton, Ks. 1899. 200 Block on the east side with the AT$SF Railroad Depot and crossing arms visible in background.

Below is on of a series of 4 photos that we have in our collection.

Photos recently donated.

Looking north toward the railroad tracks.

The former Clark Hotel on the left, Arcade/Atchison & Santa Fe Depot on the right.

Note on dating: According to newspaper accounts and other photos in the collection, the Arcade building was remodeled with a different roof line and re-opened in May 1900.  On the right hand side of the photo, east side the 400 & 300 block including Swartz Lumber at 322 Main.

Looking north down Main, east side, 500 Block.

Duff & Duff Furniture & Undertaking, 516-518 Main. Opera House tower visible on the left hand side of photo. This block was destroyed by fire on August 4, 1914.

 

Looking north down Main, east side, 500-600 Block.

Visible on the right –  Kansas State Bank; visible on the left – Opera House Tower.

Looking north down Main, east side, 600 Block.

Lehman’s Hardware & Implements, 604-608 Main.

Copies of Photos Available!

These photos may have been taken by F. H. Mann, who worked at the Kansan Book Bindery, and available for purchase.

Evening Kansan Republican, 13 October 1899.

 The Book Bindery was started in March 1898 with Mann at the helm by the Evening Kansan Republican. He had learned his trade at his father’s bindery in Quincy, Ill and had worked in Topeka before Newton.

F.H. Mann center.

More on the Clark Hotel and here.

Sources

  • The Evening Kansan Republican: 2 March 1899, 7 October 1899. 13 October 1899, 15 May 1900.