Lake and Lakin Townships were acquired from Sedgwick County. Lake Twp’s name was chosen as a descriptor of the area. In the township is Patterson Lake, the only natural lake in Harvey County. Located within Pleasant Twp was the now non-existent town of Patterson, at which a post office was established in 1888; and the now non-existent community of Egypt. Lakin Twp, a township receiving its name in appreciation of the Santa Fe Railway’s efforts to build the area, was the namesake of D.L. Lakin, an early land commissioner for Santa Fe Railway. The homestead filings during the rush from 1871 to 1872 contained so many fraudulent entries that accurate information about Lakin Township’s settlement was impossible. Lakin Twp was the second to establish a school. Image from Edward’s Map of 1882.