Garden Township was obtained from McPherson County. Garden is one of five townships with a name chosen as a descriptor of their area. After Harvey County was established, a large number of Mennonite Christian families homesteaded most of the remaining government land while other Mennonite Christians purchased large tracts of railroad land in the Township. Located in Garden Twp was the now non-existent settlement of Garden City, at which a post office was established in 1872. Like Alta Twp, Garden Twp was originally settled by several French and Irish families who homesteaded on the Little Arkansas River and at the mouth of Turkey Creek in the fall of 1869 or the spring of 1870. Image from Edward’s Map of 1882.