1877 – A Harvey County Settlement. A group of Mennonite Christians from Heubuden, West Prussia (near today’s Gdansk, Poland) established the settlement of Goldshaar (Golden Plowshare). It was located east of Newton. At the heart of the settlement was a European style cluster of farms and families—the Wilhelm Quiring family and the Hermann Sudermann, Sr. family as well as the Hermann Sudermann, Jr. family. Within close proximity were the farms of several Regier and Claassen families. Illustration source: Collection of HCHM.